Friday, February 24, 2012

Photo Art Friday/Feb. 24th - 26th

This week Bonnie gave us three suggestions to choose from for our submission: 1) any piece we wanted to submit; 2) a piece using a layer mask; and 3) a piece of photo art that is not pretty.

I decided on number 3, and misread the suggestion; I worked on a photo that "wasn't pretty", rather than photo art that wasn't pretty and this is the photo I picked!

Original Photo
Now of course, I have it in my mind that I was to take this rather ugly, mundane photo and improve upon it, turn it into something that if not "pretty", at least interesting.

The process involved poster edges, cutout filter, and dry brush filter effects on the original photo; I then added Bonnie's textures, Happy Day and Fanciful, along with a texture I made called Grass.

Baling Wire I
Was having so much fun, that when I merged the piece, went on to playing with it some more!  I am attempting to learn a "recipe" for giving portraits an edgier look . . . so practiced on the merged piece.  The recipe involves gaussian blur and feathering and using different blending modes.

Baling Wire II
Turned into a great project for me even if I did read in haste or maybe I created #1!
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end."  Edward Whymper



Photo Art Friday