Sunday, January 15, 2012

Texture Challenge/Nancy Donaldson

Nancy Donaldson (all pulped out) is the individual who introduced me to textures and the many uses for textures.  

Right after the first of the year Nancy gifted eight new images for us to experiment and play with, and below is what I did.

Nancy will be posting a sample of our work on her blog on Tuesday night, but because I have a full week coming up, I am posting them on musings a couple of days early!

Young Boy, Chengdu with Nancy's textures: Pole3, Pole7 and Encaustic with additional two backgrounds in varying blend mode.
I knew I wanted to render the photo of this little boy I took in Chengdu, and after finishing it up, decided to stay on an Asian theme, particularly with the Chinese New Year coming up on January 23. Below are the digital pieces I rendered:

Fresh Fruit with Nancy's textures: Pole2 and Pole5 with levels adjustment on both textures with one background in blend mode..
Year of the Dragon with Nancy's textures: Pole3 and Pole2 with levels adjustments and 3 backgrounds in varying blend modes.
For fun: Your Chinese horoscope for the Year of the Dragon (2012): Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Ram, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig.  If you are unsure of what your Chinese Zodiac is, you can get additional information at chineseculture.about.com.

Nancy wowed me with screenshots of a project where she used both textures and backgrounds, varying the blending modes and opacity; the photo she used in her art was of a chair.  I didn't have a photo of a chair, but I did have a scan of a Coldwater Creek catalog from about 10 years ago that I used in a piece of paper art . . . so here is my rendition!

In Vacation Mode with Nancy's textures:Pole8 with levels adjustment/Pole 1 and 1 background layers in blend mode.
If you would like to take a look at the sample that Nancy posted on her website, you can find it here: time to play
Always welcome the new morning with a new spirit, a smile on your face, love in your heart and good thoughts in your mind.